Before students lead a discussion make sure that they understand your goals of having:
- Civil and respectful discussion
- Opportunities for all students to contribute
- Discussion of topics important to the class.
- Ask student discussion leaders to prepare questions in advance and identify what types of contributions each question might generate.
- Before students lead a discussion, model and draw students’ attention to the strategies you use to facilitating in-class discussions.
- You can give student discussion leaders access to classroom discussion tips or examples of strategies that they can chose from (http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/speaking-listening-techniques/)
- Leading discussion can be difficult and students will likely need support to lead effective discussions.