https://teaching.claremont.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/logo-300x62.png 0 0 claremontctl https://teaching.claremont.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/logo-300x62.png claremontctl2016-10-09 23:25:152016-10-09 23:25:15Practice saying students names to ensure that you correctly pronounce all students names.
- Ask students how to pronounce their name either in-person or in a survey. The name they want to be called may be different than their name listed in the course roster.
- Dedicate additional effort (e.g., make your own pronunciation guide) to ensure you can pronounce names that are unfamiliar to you.
- Avoid complimenting or commenting on a student’s name. Your opinions about their name are irrelevant and your attention about their name may make them feel singled out or different than their classmates.
- Using students’ names and pronouncing them correctly is a great way to show respect.
- Memorizing the names and faces of your minority students is particularly important to avoid accidentally confusing two students of the same race.